Thursday 16 July 2015

Introducing Gloria

After my rapid hair loss, I quickly took a trip to Afro Cosmetics and purchased my first synthetic wig. It was one of the best £14 I had spent in a long time. Of course, at £14 it wasnt perfect quality and it did have a funky fringe going on, but at the time, it would do. I covered the dodgey fringe with a woolly hat and I was good to go. It wasn't until late January that I attended my Little Princess Trust wig fitting and the whole 'wearing a wig' game changed.

Little Princess Trust 

The Little Princess Trust is an amazing charity that provides real hair wigs with children suffering hair loss due to cancer treatment. The wig's are made from real human hair and from my personal experience I can honestly say that they look and feel just like real hair! My wig feels healthier than my actual previous hair! 

In late January I went to to my chosen wig shop and hair stylist still feeling distraught about my hair loss. I knew I wasn't going to walk away with my wig today, but this was the first steps towards what I thought would be some form of normality. I soon learnt that hair wasn't the remedy I needed to feel normal, but it helped. 

I looked in the mirror at my silly remaining strands of hair and held back my tears as the woman pulled out so many styles of wigs; ranging in colours, lengths and styles. In the end, I chose the longest length (duh), a light brunette colour with a full fringe (a look I last had in 2009) with some long layers. In my opinion, the full fringe made the wig look a little less like, well, a wig. I have a particular eye for detail and if I could tell I was wearing a wig, I knew others could as well. But honestly, strangers have given me compliments on my hair, so I know the full fringe was the best option for me no matter how different it was to my real hair before my diagnosis. 

I had to wait a few weeks from my first appointment to have my wig ordered and it was then cut and styled the way I wanted by a professional hair dresser. I was stunned. It looked incredible. But it wasn't me looking back in the mirror. To say I walked out of the shop happy, would be a lie. I didn't cry until I got home. I put poor Gloria on her head stand and she wasn't touched again for a good few weeks. I couldn't get over it. I think I was still accepting my situation and I definitely wasn't ready to accept that I needed a wig. Why should I have to need a wig at 18? Oh yeah.. Because I'm battling cancer. 

I'm glad I came to my senses. I started to wear Gloria a lot more. It took me awhile to get the right position so my fringe didnt look too high up or too low that it was constantly brushing against the little eyelashes I had left. Now, I can look at myself in the mirror wearing Gloria and see myself looking back at me. Although it took time, I now feel like I can recognise myself. 

If anyone is interested in donating money or even their hair to help fund this amazing charity that has helped my cancer battle and so many others that little bit easier, go to http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk/ to get more information. 

Here she is .. GLORIA 

Excuse the pouting, embrace the wig. 

Me & trusty Gloria.
Gloria herself.




Check out my PHHHOTO - alexspain
Before a night out in Croydon.




















Another quick thought .. 

Boy's have surprised me in relation to hair loss. Of course, it would affect them immensely. But I did honestly believe that boy's had it easier. That they would be more used to having short hair and not long locks like most girls. That it is more common for boy's to rock a bald head. But now, I'm not too sure that they do have it easier. Girls have more opportunities to cover their hair loss, such as being provided with wigs from charities or wearing stylish head scarves. What do boys have to cover their hair loss with? A hat? Maybe a wig? From my people's watching experience in the hospital (don't lie everybody people watches), the boy's tend to keep their hat's on at all times. I'm sure they wouldn't usually be wearing woolly hats during summer inside a building. I have never come across boys wearing a wig and if I'm honest, it would be harder for boys to rock a wig without some suspicions. This makes me feel sympathy for the boys as they do not have the same opportunities as us girls to cover their hair loss. 

I do think all cancer fighters should embrace their hair loss, as it is an everyday reminder that your fighting one of the hardest battles of your life. Not a particularly nice reminder, but if you tell yourself everyday that this is temporary, you may feel more comfortable in letting others in on your battle, instead of covering it up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment